Homemade Cornish Ice Cream Recipe20th July 2020
We have kicked off our #ABIRoadTrip in sunny Cornwall and that can only mean one thing – Cornish ice cream! It just so happens that it’s also National Ice Cream Month and to celebrate, we’re sharing this delicious homemade ice cream recipe so you can enjoy the creamy sweet treat wherever you are in the UK.
For your own delicious homemade ice cream on a hot summer’s day, just keep reading…
You don’t need a complicated ice cream maker or fancy ingredients to make ice cream at home. With these simple steps, you can have this irresistible dessert at your fingertips. All you need is 15 minutes, 6 ingredients and 2 freezer bags.
150ml single cream
150ml semi-skimmed milk
6 tbsp rock salt
¼ tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp caster sugar
- In a medium sized ziploc freezer bag, pour in the single cream and milk.
- Add ¼ teaspoon of vanilla extract and 1 tablespoon of caster sugar.
- Close the bag and make sure it is properly sealed, releasing any excess air.
- Fill a larger ziploc bag with the ice and salt, placing the medium sized bag inside. Make sure that the medium sized bag is fully covered with ice.
- Seal the larger bag and wrap in a towel or use gloves to shake for 10-15 minutes.
- Take the ice cream bag out of the large bag and rinse with cold water
- Carefully open the medium sized bag and scoop out.
What’s more, this recipe gives you the freedom to add any flavour your heart desires. Fudge, chocolate chips, rum and raisin, hazelnut, raspberry or banana – the choice is yours! It’s also a perfect technique to try with children as they see the liquid transform into delicious ice cream in front of their eyes. Adding salt to the ice lowers the temperature to -10C, allowing the mixture to freeze in minutes meaning you can perform your very own science experiment in your ABI kitchen.
Try this fun recipe at your ABI with the family and share your attempt on our Facebook, Twitter or Instagram. You can also get involved with our #ABIRoadTrip on our social channels – make sure to take a look because we might be stopping off near you next!